Content

1, 2  >>

What animes/mangas do you watch/read?

spyxter Flutie Flakes View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, May 06, 2006

I hadn't found any similar threads so I decided to start my own Wink.

So what animes do you watch and/or what mangas do you read? What are your favorites?

For ones who do not know what the heck is anime and manga:

Anime - Japanese animation
Manga - Japanese comics usually in black/white (no colors). Interesting thing - Manga is read from right to left Wink

Animes on my HDD Wink

Neon Genesis Evangelion - interesting but not for me...
Excel Saga - *laughing my arse off*
Puni Puni Poemy - ROTFLMAO
Bleach - new mania Wink
Guyver - monsters cut into halves rule (the old TV ovas and the new series)

I recently started reading manga Wink it's Bleach Very Happy

movento View user's profile Send private message

I watched DBZ,Gundam Wing,Saloir Moon(didn't really liked it) and that show with Kenshin on the tv,but they don't show those anymore.I still watch Naruto,only the anime though. I heard a lot of good things about Bleach but I haven't found the the time to watch it.

Punio4 Somewhat Nifty View user's profile Send private message

Neon genesis Evangelion = the best anime in the universe
Naruto = bleh
Bleach = Naruto Razz

Punio4 wrote : Neon genesis Evangelion = the best anime in the universe
Naruto = bleh
Bleach = Naruto Razz

What does that bleh mean? Very Happy Bleach kicks buttocks a bit in in my honest opinion Very Happy

I don't really like Naruto...
It's a kiddy anime... and an anime for people who get the kicks out of "ZOMGNEWPOWELEVEL!11"
Yeah, I also don't like dbz for the same reason...

I just don't prefer the following type of animes:

1. you have your main hero who kicks buttocks and the generic anime mentality - emo. (The NGE characters fall into a similar categery, but are much more realistical in my honest opinion)
2. each character has his special moves or powers, and of course new levels and/or transformations.
3. a shallow storyline consisting only out of beating up bad guys.
4. any anime where characters announce the name of their attack.
5. the only discussion about the anime you can have is "who would kick whose buttocks" and "what was the name of that attack/combo/jutsu/pokemon"

Slipstream Catching On View user's profile Send private message

@Punio: You'd like Mai Hime, and Mai Otome I think. Doesn't follow the standard anime conventions.

I'm currently watching Tsubasa Chronicles Season 2, and Utawarerumono.
I just finished Season 1 of Tsubasa Chrnicles, as well as Mai Otome, Shakugan no Shana, and Rozen Maiden Traumend.

Bleach and Naruto are great animes, but not during the gooey insides episodes so I've stopped watching them.

Super Snake Sugar & Cocaine View user's profile Send private message

YOU DON'T LIKE POKEMON?!?!?! Razz

I kinda like the animes punio dislikes. ;P

Michel View user's profile Send private message

Punio4 wrote : I don't really like Naruto...
It's a kiddy anime... and an anime for people who get the kicks out of "ZOMGNEWPOWELEVEL!11"
Yeah, I also don't like dbz for the same reason...

Mmm... I tend to agree with you. I, however, do like Naruto, but it keeps repeating itself over and over. But perhaps that's because I am currently watching 15 episodes per day Cool (That's 15 * 20 mins = 300 mins = 5 hours, if I am not mistaken... yikes!)

Anyhow... I do like the general concept of naruto.

Let us discuss about this a bit, because I am really interrested in such a discussion!

To begin with: Flying.

In naruto you can't fly. In dbz you can. When I was watching dbz, I liked the idea of being able to fly, but now that I am watching naruto, I tend to love walking more. The problem with flying is, is that it isn't really realistic. Furthermore, you don't really enjoy the journey your character (if being a game) is taking. I also don't like aircombat in games, because by adding 360 degrees of freedom, without any constraints by the laws of nature, it will become harder for players to translate to what they want to do, from them to their character. And I think that is something (along with different features) is what makes a good game.

Second item: Attacks.

in my opinion attacks should be explained. For instance, in naruto they tell you how it is working, in a way that you can think: "ah... well if its like that... then it could be real". Naruto attacks make use of chakra, which in the real world, is a real thing (untill it is proven not to be). DBZ uses KI (like chakra) but doesn't explain how the attacks originated.

Third item: power levels

This is really a witty loving thing! First, they are all weak. Then they improve. They fight big monsters and so on, and they become really strong. Then they introduce new zippy characters, and suddenly they don't have great powers anymore. What's up with that? And to make it even worse, after having defeated the strongest enemy, an even stronger enemy keeps appearing. Like, they didn't know there was any. For example, freeza was the strongest one in the galaxy, and everyone knew that. Goes what... you're wrong. Cell, buu, all stronger. Come on! Also, they should never make the main character defeat the strongest opponent.

Fourth item: transformations/forms
Do just one other form. Like naruto...
Otherwise, people will all start drawing SSJ100!
And make it a transformation that you can grasp: pulling a guy's hair straight up and coloring it gold. what the heck!

Fifth item: a shallow storyline consisting only out of beating up bad guys (copied Smile)

I totally agree! in my opinion, there should have missions that will allow you to miss an episode. But there should be a main story line aswell! And a good one!

Sixth: witty animals and co
What's up with those bunnies/turtles/dogs that can speak and act like humans! Come on!

Seven: announce the name of their attack.

Don't really have comment here. Just wanted to know why you think this.

zane View user's profile Send private message

Well DB/DBZ (read and watched)
DBGT (Watched)
Yu-Gi-Oh (watched)
One Piece (read and watched)
Nauroto (watched)
SuperKickers (all versions watched)

And a lot more..

@BlueCell
Nice text there, I agree with you in some points but on some not.
"in my opinion attacks should be explained. For instance, in naruto they tell you how it is working, in a way that you can think: "ah... well if its like that... then it could be real". Naruto attacks make use of chakra, which in the real world, is a real thing (untill it is proven not to be). DBZ uses KI (like chakra) but doesn't explain how the attacks originated. "
I remember that attacks were explained a lot in Dragonball it would just be intellectually lacking if they repeat everything in DBZ.

"This is really a witty loving thing! First, they are all weak. Then they improve. They fight big monsters and so on, and they become really strong. Then they introduce new zippy characters, and suddenly they don't have great powers anymore. What's up with that? And to make it even worse, after having defeated the strongest enemy, an even stronger enemy keeps appearing. Like, they didn't know there was any. For example, freeza was the strongest one in the galaxy, and everyone knew that. Goes what... you're wrong. Cell, buu, all stronger. Come on! Also, they should never make the main character defeat the strongest opponent. "

Ok but it's pretty much the same in Naruto and also in every Anime with good vs evil there must be a new stronger enemy every time, or what should they do oO
fight against them self?

Well this are just the points where I don't agree with you.

Naruto is a really cool Anime but for me DB and DBZ are that also.

Zeth ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Bleach = Drama. Predictable beyond belief. Complex plotline. Branching story depth.
Naruto = Drama. Predictable but greatly varied characters with a splotch of DBZ's nature. Complex plotline. Branching story depth.
DBZ = Mega Drama. Predictable but intense over the edge scenerios/reactions. Simple plotline. Branching story depth.

Relating to philosophies of life concerning logical annalytical reasoning, simple concepts with branching depth are always going to gain more appeal. It's a very simple concept in itself. The idea is this.

Basic Concept Design
--------------------

A basic design may either be simple, complex, or a varied range inbetween if you wish to scale them. To find this factor, you simply need to summarize the series (or concept) in to one sentence and then tell it to someone. For every unique pronoun, acronym, abbreviation, and otherwise custom word you use, points are added the concepts base complexity. The idea is to have a VERY simple base complexity in your concept as this will appeal to more people. The less they have to learn, the easier it will be to grasp quickly. Given the varied range of intelligence and perception of the people around the world, having a complicated basic concept that requires explanation is going to turn off a lot of the non-intellectual people (thus the masses).

Concept Depth
--------------------

After establishing a concept's basic design, you can further add on the depth to that design. This is a basic tactic. Hook the user with the simplicity and understanding, then keep them hooked with the amount of exploration and depth (if they choose to dig) available. The key to good depth is not making them required elements, but rather letting the main concept lead the way with the depth adding touches if the user allows it to. A simple depth will leave your fanatics at a minimum as they will have no solid hierarchy of concepts to cling to and master.

Look around the world at media in general : stories, movies, games, applications, etc. The ones that exceed on an extreme level to the masses do so for their adaptance of these core principles (whether that be accidental or focused). If you wonder why Microsoft is so successful in some of their products (and not on others), just examine their practices with these in mind.

It's basic perceptual psychology with a NATURAL (unforced) marketing edge that's been in use for centuries.

Kaioz View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, May 07, 2006

I recently picked up the manga called 'Battle Royale', and it's truly a masterpiece. Concept and story are both very cruel, but the artistic value is very high, characters are very well developped, the script is well written, and there's little to no plot holes.

It's basically about Japan in a future with rebellious youth, high unemployment rates, and censorship(ie. Rock and Roll not allowed). And then there's "The Program".
Every year a randomly selected 9th grade class is put in a desolate area where they have to do a battle royale, last man standing, no exceptions. And this is all broadcasted to the nation.

Blaize ZEQ2 Legend View user's profile Send private message

I'm sure almost everyone has seen the movie battle royal Razz
anyone who has a little interest in asian cinema has.

Devion Slipping Away View user's profile Send private message

BlueCell wrote : Second item: Attacks.

in my opinion attacks should be explained. For instance, in naruto they tell you how it is working, in a way that you can think: "ah... well if its like that... then it could be real". Naruto attacks make use of chakra, which in the real world, is a real thing (untill it is proven not to be). DBZ uses KI (like chakra) but doesn't explain how the attacks originated.

And cows can fly until proven they cannot? Or just like people who say they can fire kamehamehas out of their hands?

Naruto is just unrealistic as DBZ, but that's why its a cartoon based on someone's fantasy.

I never liked Naruto, I felt like it was just a copy of DBZ with a twist. And I wasn't looking foward to that again.

N-J ZEQ2 Legend View user's profile Send private message

I think naruto is way more realistic than dbz, because dbz picks up on a previous series.
I think db was pretty "realistic" for its sake. Roshi explained goku how to use his ki power to generate a kamehameha and so on. Dbz didn't need that introducing anymore and just went all out.

in my honest opinion I think Evangelion is one of the most "realistic" animes ever made. Every technology used in the series is based on an IRL theory, including the S^2 engine.

My list of the most realistic SF animes:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ghost in the shell
Cowboy Bebop

who in the heck likes totally realistic animes??? What's the purpose of searching and watching a totally realistic anime??? You are now playing the most realistic game you could ever find... it's called REAL LIFE (RL) copyright lloyd Laughing

The best thing about anime is that it's a fantasy and has almost nothing to do with realism... At least that is what I like in anime...

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

I think by "realistic" they mean "logically and believably explained" rather than a simple "we can do this because we can" sort of explaination. When things just happen for no explainable reason, it's not believable, but if there's a reason and theory behind things happening, no matter how outlandish and unrealistic they are they are believable.

Alex wrote : I think by "realistic" they mean "logically and believably explained" rather than a simple "we can do this because we can" sort of explaination. When things just happen for no explainable reason, it's not believable, but if there's a reason and theory behind things happening, no matter how outlandish and unrealistic they are they are believable.

Thanks Alex, for explaining this, so that I don't. most of your posts are intelligent: thank you for that!

Blaize ZEQ2 Legend View user's profile Send private message

indeed.. I wish some people would take whatever Alex is having Laughing

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Right now it's something nice and green *nods* Laughing

N-J ZEQ2 Legend View user's profile Send private message

Alex wrote : Right now it's something nice and green *nods* :*laughing out loud*:

Well atleast you and Sugar & Cocaine can share your stuff Laughing

Punio4 wrote : 4. any anime where characters announce the name of their attack.

I would like to know why you dislike this?

Forza View user's profile Send private message

BlueCell wrote :

Punio4 wrote : 4. any anime where characters announce the name of their attack.

I would like to know why you dislike this?

When you have a war you're not going to tell the other your tactics, are you?

*sigh* I wish I was like Alex Sad I mean smartness Very Happy

zane View user's profile Send private message

But in DB it is explained how it works (Kamehameha and the other attacks) to repeat that in Z would be somekind of boring keep in mind that DragonballZ is just the continuation of DB

If you have the mangas you know that DBZ is not a alone standing story, cause DBZ starts on manga 17 not 1.
And it was also explained how to go SSJ or how to fly in DBZ

1, 2  >>

0 / 2472