Content

About terrain destruction

Zajac View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, May 11, 2006

I think you should try to make terrain destructable, even in sucha way as in worms 3d, beacause without destroyable terrain, some attack just won't be the same as they should be, as a ref I give you the screen with tien's special technique, it was when he was hanging cell out off android 18, and if not destroyable terrain, there couldnt be sucha role play, look at this

Andreyesf Sugar & Cocaine View user's profile Send private message

*laughing out loud* this is a good sugestion but think like this HL2 cannot have desctructable terrain like this how can a quake 3 that has apeeard 589 years ago do destructable terrain like this Very Happy Smile ?

Dan the Rebirth View user's profile Send private message

hmmm...if they can make the thing with the water, they shut also can make holes like that....q3 has a good engine, and now where the source code is open they can add everything they want, like the other poo zeth and co wanna add

zane View user's profile Send private message

Well... I think it's hard to do it but it's possible to code it I think.
And didn't Zeth said allready that there will be destructable terrain?
But you shouldn't be able to destroy anything on the map I think... cause after a hour... there's not much left of the map :X

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

The Halflife 2 engine doesn't support it because they never tried to support it. It does support realtime changes to the heightmaps of terrain brushes, I think, so you could simulate it in it. Quake 3 however is opensource and can do whatever Rio can code in.

There's been a few threads about this before, I've mentioned some reasons why Quake 3's standard level format and the way it handles them would cause a lot of problems with realtime Geometry Modification, so would need to be replaced but they certainly ain't using standard BSP brush maps are they?

Suffice to say, it's more than possible, but don't get your hopes up.

Andreyesf Sugar & Cocaine View user's profile Send private message

Let Zeth decide if it will be destructable terraint or not

hmm...I think the distructable maps would be cool on one hand....but man...we need to colect the dragonballs more than 1 time in a year to re-new the planet....so I think it would be a cool feature but strange if still everything is destroyed when you re-enter the maps some days later....

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Sugar & Cocaine wrote : Let Zeth decide if it will be destructable terraint or not you are not

I'm explaining what I know, which certainly is more than you.

zane View user's profile Send private message

*laughing out loud* Sugar & Cocaine... did Alex said anything wrong? I don't think so.. he is absolutly right. I mean you write without knowing anything HL2 and Quake3 engine are a lot different oO
And Quake 3 is open source since about 1year or so so it's a lot easier to code for it than for HL2

Zeth ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

I'm explaining what I know

Al knows.

*laughing out loud* this is a good sugestion but think like this HL2 cannot have desctructable terrain like this how can a quake 3 that has apeeard 589 years ago do destructable terrain like this Very Happy Smile ?

There are many methods already available for terrain manipulation :

-- Voxels
-- Mesh Deforming
-- Heightmap Manipulation
-- Clip Masking
-- etc.

As Alex said though, you have to consider the pro's and con's of using such methods. Quake 3 is based on a BSP map format, which would almost completely need to be reworked from the ground up to FULLY implement some of the methods.

welll I think someone of the team sait that already: first we gona release the game, and than we may make a update with destructable models and maps

0 / 2472