Content

suggestion of communication

spyxter Flutie Flakes View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I somehow found myself thinking about that HUD'less interface of the game. Then I suddenly thought: "How in the heck's name will players chat with each other?". There will be no HUD, right? So this means no chat window. Then how will players communicate? If communication is going to match the series, you will somehow have to make characters talk what players want (text-to-speech? yeah, I can imagine Goku's voice...). And so came my idea - why not make typed text which would appear in chat window in 'normal' game to appear in speech bubbles like in comics and/or manga? Of course I'm aware that there were no speech bubbles in the series, but how in the heck would you solve that? Text-to-speech??? Very Happy

Another problem would be private messages Wink Telepathy??? Well it's not so unthinkable... I somehow remember Goku using telepathy just after he left King Kai's place for the first time. But that would make the only PM enabled character - Goku Wink So HOW are you going to solve this?

Punio4 Somewhat Nifty View user's profile Send private message

in my honest opinion, the easiest way is to include voice in the game iteslf... not via 3rd party software like teamspeak...
And I must say I like the idea with the speechbubble...
If you type for instance "watch out..." it will be a wisper, ergo, lowest range, good when in teams to develop a strategy.
"Watch out." would have decent range, "Watch out!" a huge one, and "Watch out!!!" a mapwide, which won't be shown by a speechbubble near (pointing even? Don't think those exist in mangas)to the character, but a "spikey" one just... somewhere on the screen.
There won't be no big/small letters, to prevent caps abuse and to make it look more like a manga.
Just my two cents Rolling Eyes

I think speech bubbles > textboxes Laughing

those are what I meant >< WHOOPS xD

MDave ZEQ2 Ninja View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, May 17, 2006

There will be text based chat. Thats all I need to say Smile

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Can you imagine trying to read speachbubbles floating above people's heads in the middle of a game? I mean, it's not like they're going to be standing still, waiting for people to read it and it's not like you're going to stand around reading. Not to mention they would be very hard to read from any kind of distance, even if both you and them are standing still.

No hud doesn't mean no text on screen at all and such, it just means that there's no graphical overlays displaying the player's stats, health, attack, etc.

Dan the Rebirth View user's profile Send private message

what would you think about a in game voice chat?

zane View user's profile Send private message

Oh no.. please not .. it would ruin the DBZ flair if you are in a fight and suddenly you hear voices of a 13 year old kid who is probably not even in the puberty vocal change ...

ok thats right

zane wrote : Oh no.. please not .. it would ruin the DBZ flair if you are in a fight and suddenly you hear voices of a 13 year old kid who is probably not even in the puberty vocal change ...

OMFG Very Happy that would be a total disaster Very Happy I now get pissed off when I hear a 13-year-old voice while playing ESF Very Happy

But team speak thingy would be useful, if only enabled on demand Wink

Alex wrote : Can you imagine trying to read speachbubbles floating above people's heads in the middle of a game? I mean, it's not like they're going to be standing still, waiting for people to read it and it's not like you're going to stand around reading. Not to mention they would be very hard to read from any kind of distance, even if both you and them are standing still.

No hud doesn't mean no text on screen at all and such, it just means that there's no graphical overlays displaying the player's stats, health, attack, etc.

The textbubble will stay in place, and have the same size regardless of the distance... it will either be shown or not. And about the box moving, the box will stay in place, only the "arrow" will point towards the player saying it dynamically as the player moves.

MDave ZEQ2 Ninja View user's profile Send private message

Punio4 wrote :

Alex wrote : Can you imagine trying to read speachbubbles floating above people's heads in the middle of a game? I mean, it's not like they're going to be standing still, waiting for people to read it and it's not like you're going to stand around reading. Not to mention they would be very hard to read from any kind of distance, even if both you and them are standing still.

The textbubble will stay in place, and have the same size regardless of the distance... it will either be shown or not. And about the box moving, the box will stay in place, only the "arrow" will point towards the player saying it dynamically as the player moves.

You thinking of Phantasy Star Online? Wink

Confused ?
Never played it, sorry.
Heck, I don't have the "Somewhat nifty" title for nothing Wink

Slipstream Catching On View user's profile Send private message

I like the idea of the captilization and punctuation making a difference in the range that the message is broadcast to other players. However, I don't think speach bubbles would such a good idea.
At best it seems they would be a distraction on screen, and at worst they could become a hinderance.

A better way to handled it might simply be having the text appear at the bottom of the screen with the name of the player speaking along with a dynamic arrow pointing in their direction as an indicator.
It's off the screen, we're already familiar with such a system, and if we really don't care about what's being said, it won't be there in the middle of the view anyway, blocking what could be a potential target from our vision.

Veghetto View user's profile Send private message

If you have a bubble pop up over you everytime you say something wouldn't that give away your position if you're hiding.

I think voice chat is a good idea. It would be better if you made it to where the volume of the voice changes depending on distance and how loud the person speaks. Have a sort of doppler effect thing happening with the voice chat. And since these characters have animatable mouths, their mouths move whenever you start talking.

SSJ2VEGETA View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, May 18, 2006

Veghetto wrote : If you have a bubble pop up over you everytime you say something wouldn't that give away your position if you're hiding.

I think voice chat is a good idea. It would be better if you made it to where the volume of the voice changes depending on distance and how loud the person speaks. Have a sort of doppler effect thing happening with the voice chat. And since these characters have animatable mouths, their mouths move whenever you start talking.

*ponders* bad idea because some of us don't have microphones and don't feel like wasting money for one

a head st costs a 20bugs or less and nearly every online player have one as mutch I know....

Veghetto wrote : If you have a bubble pop up over you everytime you say something wouldn't that give away your position if you're hiding.

Well, wouldn't you reveal your position if said something loudly? The speech-bubbles should have adjustable volume, so you could whisper and shout so loudly that you would be heard (read Wink) in all over the server Wink. Of course it could easily evolve into spamming, so shouting should be limited 'n stuff Wink

One shout every 5 minutes. I think that's fair. Razz

zane View user's profile Send private message

.. Why not just a good old text based chat like
mdave said allready?

*laughing out loud* I don't want thousand of bubbles oO

Zeth ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

All Dave said was that there would be text-based chat. He didn't say in what, how much, or where. As far as one could deduce, there will be text based chat! ... in the new version of MSN Messenger. Razz

0 / 2472