English Bid For Power Final

Meister Kleister View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, July 12, 2007

The first Final Version of english Bid for Power is out
and I must say,its great!

http://mods.moddb.com/9513/english-bid-for-power-final-standalone/

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

So, uh, I can't see anything about them releasing the source code or even linking to the engine distro they built the 'standalone' on. That's a breach of the GPL, as is distributing a closed source mod, meant to be distributed under the Quake 3 Mod License, as part of the GPL licensed 'standalone' game. Given that the GPL is a legally binding license, breach of it can result in legal action and there are people who go around reporting any GPL breach they find on the net, there's even a foundation to do so, if I remember correctly.

Zeth ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Might be because English Bid For Power seems to just be Bid for Power files still. They mashed the first ZEQ and EBFP together in an orgy of chaos. The only reason I know they used ZEQ is because of all the made up names and attacks I gave characters that had no relation to the series at all. Basically, when you see Gotenks with a move called "Burst Fire" that covers the map, you know that something isn't quite right.

At any rate I suppose I'll check it out and see if they packaged it with a standalone of quake, or what.

Grega View user's profile Send private message

Zeth wrote : Might be because English Bid For Power seems to just be Bid for Power files still. They mashed the first ZEQ and EBFP together in an orgy of chaos. The only reason I know they used ZEQ is because of all the made up names and attacks I gave characters that had no relation to the series at all. Basically, when you see Gotenks with a move called "Burst Fire" that covers the map, you know that something isn't quite right.

At any rate I suppose I'll check it out and see if they packaged it with a standalone of quake, or what.

Nah unlike HL. Quake actually put the core files along with the SDK. You allways could make standalone Quake mods cause of that.

No they didn't. The media files required by Quake 3 to start up are not distributable. 'Standalone mods' have only been able to be produced since the release of the engine code under GPL and even then you can not legally distribute any of the Quake 3 media with the game produced by it, you have to replace all the basic sounds, models, textures, menus, bot AI personallity files and so forth, hence the reason for such projects as OpenArena.

Any 'standalone mod' based on the quake 3 engine requires by the license to have the source code available upon request. The QVM/DLL files produced from the Mod SDK fall under a license which is incompatible with the license of the engine code, meaning you can not legally mix and match a closed source mod with a build of the opensource engine. The only way around this is to distribute the mod as a mod and distribute the executable and all GPL related files seperately with it's own QVM or DLL files built from the GPL code, anything else is breaking the legally binding license agreements made by using the code.

Alex wrote : No they didn't. The media files required by Quake 3 to start up are not distributable. 'Standalone mods' have only been able to be produced since the release of the engine code under GPL and even then you can not legally distribute any of the Quake 3 media with the game produced by it, you have to replace all the basic sounds, models, textures, menus, bot AI personallity files and so forth, hence the reason for such projects as OpenArena.

Any 'standalone mod' based on the quake 3 engine requires by the license to have the source code available upon request. The QVM/DLL files produced from the Mod SDK fall under a license which is incompatible with the license of the engine code, meaning you can not legally mix and match a closed source mod with a build of the opensource engine. The only way around this is to distribute the mod as a mod and distribute the executable and all GPL related files seperately with it's own QVM or DLL files built from the GPL code, anything else is breaking the legally binding license agreements made by using the code.

Man how long has Q3 ben open source than O.O

I know I remember quite a few mods released like standalone.

There was a megaman mod like that once. MMA or something like that.

Tom ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, July 13, 2007

Quake 3 went open source on August 19, 2005. So almost 2 years now.

Yup and 2 years isn't 'always' as the game's been out since 1999. Any 'standalone' quake 3 mod released before August '05, I'm sorry to say, would be illegal, though I never came across any until a month or two after it went GPL.

RaiDer Genuine Pirate Therapy View user's profile Send private message

When will this thing just die. 6 years? More? Of ripping other peoples work.. C'mon.. Enough is enough..

Reply with quote Saturday, July 14, 2007

I'd say the entire concept of ripping in a non-profit scene is debatable.

Zero_SFX ZEQ2 Sound Artist View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, July 15, 2007

BFP will always be loved in our hearts by DBZ fans. Very Happy

RaiDer Genuine Pirate Therapy View user's profile Send private message

Zeth wrote : I'd say the entire concept of ripping in a non-profit scene is debatable.

Maybe so, but requesting permisson and/or giving credit. Wouldn't have gone a miss with ebfp.

Probably wouldn't have hurt unless contact, language, or time issues were a factor. We have a pretty lengthy discussion about general mod mentality versus practicality if you have a chance to give your input in the other thread I linked to.

The F-Man Leader of the F-Men™ View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, July 16, 2007

one liner. I see a lot of one liners in this thread actually, and yet there posts are still here. INTERESTING

Reply with quote Monday, July 16, 2007

Honestly. I don't see a big difrence from this release and the original BFP.

Exept the original had better jump animations.

WarFang_76 True Warrior View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, November 02, 2007

I can`t download EBFP v2?Where can I find it .Link please Laughing

0 / 2472